Monday 17 September 2012

These wings were made to fly!!

When you find yourself at that place in your life when you realise you have reached a crossroads and whichever way you go is totally your choice, and you know you have made the right choice for you and your future, it does almost feel like you have found your wings.

Everybody's journey to a healthier life is unique, their own experience, what works for some does not work for others.  Everybody's reasons are also unique.  But whatever they are, they are important to you, and to take control is a great accomplishment.

You have to get in the right mindset, you have to be ready, willing and open for change, and then you really can just fly with it.

Every chrysalis has the chance to become a butterfly!

 
~BREAKFAST~
 
I said yesterday that I like to ensure my food not only appeals to my taste buds, but also my eyes ... I have to say this morning's breakfast didn't!!
 
But luckily, as I knew what had gone into it I chose to overlook the colour, and just enjoy its flavours.
 
I made a smoothie of sorts by blending frozen mango, pineapple, papaya and melon with almond milk, coconut oil, fat free frozen yogurt and fresh mint, and added a teaspoon of Spirulina ... hence the horrendous colour!  Spirulina does not add any flavour, it is just that it is a very dark green powder that completely changes the appearance of whatever you add it to.
 
But I have to say, this was such a lovely, refreshing, 'zinging' drink, it really set my taste buds alive for a Monday morning, just what was needed.  I also had a couple of slices of wholemeal toast topped with almond butter and a smidge of marmite, just lovely.
 
~MID-MORNING SNACK~
 
I had one of my Magical Energy Bars this morning to give me a great pick me up during what was a very busy morning at work, they are brilliant things.
 
~LUNCH~
 
Today I had some gorgeous homemade sweet potato falafel for my lunch with a large green salad and a pot of fat free greek yogurt mixed with some mint, and it was totally delicious, and I thought I had taken photo's when I made them yesterday, but I obviously hadn't!  I plan to make some more tis week as they are amazing and so easy, so  will share the recipe and pictures then!
 
Sweet potatoes are brilliant things, they are a rich source of dietary fibre, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals.  Its starch makes it a complex carbohydrate, raising the blood sugar level slowly.

It is one of the highest sources of Vitamin A, which is required by the body to maintain the integrity of of healthy mucus membranes and skin, and a vital nutrient for vision.


~AFTERNOON SNACK~
 
After a mammoth swim today I was feeling ravenous when I got home, and was looking forward to some hummus on one of my homemade seeded crackers!  But, I had stupidly not put the lid on the 'airtight' container properly and my lovely crisp seeded crackers were very floppy and not very 'crackery'!  :(  So instead I put together a little feast plate of oat cakes, reduced fat lemon and coriander hummus, sun blushed tomatoes, gherkin spears and some wasabi pea's. 
 
My own little picnic on a plate, did just the job!  Along with another glass of the 'green juice' from earlier.
 
~DINNER~
 
I love prawn curry, with a gorgeous sauce that I can just poach the prawns in so that they stay tender and sweet.

Today I made my Coconut and spinach prawn curry, with some homemade onion bhajis and flatbread.

So, in a large pan I melted a teaspoon of coconut oil and added to this a teaspoon of chilli powder, a teaspoon of ground cumin, a teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and let the spices cook out in the oil.  I then added a couple of crushed garlic cloves and about 2" piece of fresh ginger, grated, and let cook another minute or so.  I then added 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, stirred into the spices and let it cook out again for a few minutes.  Then 1 teaspoon of tamarind paste and a can of reduced fat coconut milk, gave it all a good mix and let it simmer gently for about 10 minutes.  I added a couple of cubes of frozen spinach and let that melt into the sauce and then some fresh chopped coriander.  I reduced the heat right down and added the raw prawns and let them just poach in the sauce till they turned from grey to pink.

I served this topped with some fat free greek yogurt, some toasted coconut shavings and some more fresh coriander alongside my homemade onion bhajis and homemade flat bread.

This curry has a real kick to it but is absolutely delicious, better than any take-out I assure you!







~EXERCISE~
 
I could not wait to get to the pool today, having missed Friday it really felt like it had been ages since I had been for a swim, and as I walked in I even had a couple of people ask where I had been!!!  I had only missed one day but it really was nice to be missed!
 
I spent as long as I possibly could in the water today, thoroughly enjoying every length, practising swimming with my head under water ... am getting better, still struggle and panic, but getting better.  I was in the water for about 1 1/2 hours and managed 100 lengths again, just over actually.
 
I love swimming, I absolutely love it.
 
Stretched my muscles afterwards whilst sitting in the steam room for 10 minutes.
 
That's it for today
Thanks again for reading
Jo
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment