Monday 24 September 2012

Love your DOMS!!!

 
Ouchie!!!  Today I am in a little pain, suffering from DOMS, (delayed onset muscle soreness).  But it is a pain I love!!!  I am suffering with them in my thigh muscles, making me look like a little old lady everytime I go to stand up. 
 
This is following yesterday's crazy loon dancing in which I incorporated a ludicrous amount of squats and lunges, even though I work these muscles (quadriceps and hamstrings) all the time with the various machines at the gym and with swimming and walking.  DOMS are your body's way of adapting to a new exercise, the ache is caused by micro-tears in the muscles fibres.  Why is it a pain we love?  Because it shows your body is responding to new exercise.  Next time you do that exercise it won't be so bad, as long as you keep stretching and keep a good blood flow to the muscles affected.  Warming up properly beforehand and cooling down and stretching after any exercise can help reduce them.
 
To overcome it tonight ... I did some more squats!!  What can I say ... I love the pain, it shows the effort I am putting in is working.
 
~BREAKFAST~
 
Something completely different for breakfast this morning ... a sweet omelette!!

Last night I roasted off some fresh figs, peaches and mango alongside some almonds and walnuts in a little coconut oil with a drizzle of agave nectar, then just warmed them through this morning.

I then whisked up two eggs this morning and added a teaspoon of cinnamon, then simply cooked in a hot pan as any normal omelette, finishing it under a hot grill to souffle up. I then filled the middle with the roasted fruits and nuts, folded it over and top with some fat free greek yogurt and another sprinkle of cinnamon.  Totally devine!

 
~MID-MORNING SNACK~
 
Simply a good old banana for my snack this morning!
 
~LUNCH~
 
Was so cold today, I really wish I had made some soup to take to work but instead I had made a salad... but it was a yummy salad!!
 
Mixed leaves and spinach with the rest of the smoked chicken I purchased from the Farm shop on Saturday, some dried apricots, red onion and half an avocado.
 
All topped with my favourite dressing of rapeseed oil, agave nectar, dijon and wholegrain mustard and apple cider vinegar.
 
 
 
 
~AFTERNOON SNACK~
 
 
 
Oooo I love these things!!!  Dr Karg's organic classic 3 seed crispbreads.  So delicious.  But I have to limit myself or they could become my new crisps!!
 
So, today I had two, topped with some reduced fat lemon and coriander hummus.
 
Gorgeous!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
~DINNER~
 
Using the remainder of the homemade baked beans from yesterday, I added some fresh vegetables, courgettes and mushrooms, some quorn 'chicken style' pieces and mixed it into some cooked wholewheat pasta.
 
Topped with some freshly grated parmesan and a scatter of reduced fat cheddar and baked in the oven for about 35 minutes.
 
Served with a little green salad.  It was delicious and very, very filling!!
 
 
~EXERCISE~
 
Yayy, swimming today.  Was chucking it down outside and I really thought that would mean the pool would be empty ... wrong!!!  Was annoyingly busy today, I couldn't get into the fast lanes like I normally do, so I had to try and swim dodging the 'casual' swimmers who mosey along chattering away, was so frustrating... I JUST WANT TO SWIM, it is a fitness pool after all!!!
 
So I managed 40 lengths then gave up and went in the steam room and jacuzzi for about 20 minutes.  The jacuzzi was brilliant on my legs, really pummelling away at my muscles and really helped .. for a little while!!
 
I then went back in the pool after it had cleared a little and I managed to get a fast lane and did another 20 lengths.
 
I then came home and did another load of squats, just to punish my legs a little further, and some bosu ball stomach exercises.
 
So that's it for today!
Am off to put together a yummy warming soup for tomorrow's lunch!
 
Thanks for reading
Jo
x


No comments:

Post a Comment