Sunday 16 September 2012

Sunday sundae and fish cakes!

It really isn't rocket science is it.  Look at that list and it is basically common sense.

I wouldn't exactly say I agree with it all, I hardly ever leave food on my plate, that is because I serve up enough that I know I will eat, and it is good stuff, I hate wastefulness.  But, I have learnt to listen to my body, and if I am full, I will stop eating and no longer stuff my face till my belly is about to explode!


I also don't make a ceremony out of every meal, but I do appreciate every meal, and I do make sure it is presented at its best so that it is a feast for the eyes as well as my belly, I can taste the flavours before it goes anywhere near my mouth and my tastebuds are jumping in anticipation.

But I do totally agree with the rest of it, and I get so much more satisfaction from the food I am now eating than the wasted empty calories I used to consume.

~BREAKFAST~
 
What better start to your Sunday than a breakfast sundae??  So this morning I sliced up some fresh figs and nectarines and simply placed them in a hot dry pan to let them 'roast' and caramelise in their own juices.

I then layered these up in a sundae dish with my raw porridge mix of oats, chia seeds and fat free yogurt and fresh raspberries and then finished with some dried banana chips, toasted coconut flakes and half of one of my magical energy bars sprinkled on top.

Absolutely zinging with flavour and freshness and practically left me feeling on a high!!!





~LUNCH~
 
Lunch today was a quick grab of a pot of crab from waitrose and a small wholemeal roll, with some sun blushed tomatoes on the side.
 
~SNACK~
 

Ooops, my bad!!!  I kept seeing these advertised everywhere and saw them in Waitrose today, I remember trying chocolate covered pretzels ages ago and loved them, the mix of saltiness and chocolate, yummy.  So I got a bag ... and I ate them (shared with my husband, sort of) and they were ok, but wouldn't bother again!!!
 
 
 
~DINNER~
 
We were meant to have this last night but neither of us were hungry, so we had it tonight instead!!

Polenta and seed coated fish cakes!

Luckily, as I had cooked the potatoes and fish last night they were cold and dry enough to work with today.  I always bake the potatoes as it keeps them dryer, and you need a dry mix for this.

So, I baked a large baking potato and a sweet potato, let them go cold and then using my potato ricer I squeezed the flesh through it into a large bowl.  I had cooked some salmon and haddock last night by simply wrapping in foil with a drizzle of rapeseed oil and some fresh lemon and placing in the oven for about 20 minutes.  I then flaked this into the bowl along with the potato and added some grated lemon zest, chopped up fresh tarragon and chives, some fennels seeds and a bit of salt and pepper and mixed well.

I set up 3 bowls, one with wholemeal flour in, one with a whisked egg and the third with some polenta, sesame seeds, pumpkins seeds and sunflower seeds in.  I formed the fish mix into fishcakes shapes and coated first in the flour, then the egg then the polenta mix.  I put them on a tray lined with silicon and sprayed with some olive oil and put in the oven to bake for about 20-25 minutes until browned.

Simply served with a large salad, some chargrilled asparagus and a good squeeze of lemon over the top.



Beautiful, fresh, flavoursome!
 
 
~EXERCISE~
 
Sunday usually means a big long walk for us, but today we just did a small one for an hour around the sea front at Brightlingsea, it was a bit breezy and overcast but certainly helped blow away the cobwebs and I always love being near the water, soothes the soul ;)
 
Got a HUGE pile of ironing to tackle now so best get on with it, new week tomorrow, swimming as well which as I missed Friday's feels like I haven't been for ages, and I really cannot wait!
 
Thanks again for reading
Jo
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment