Friday 21 September 2012

That old chestnut!!


Didn't blog last night, sorry if you missed me!  Had a really intense session at the gym and by the evening after doing various bits and bobs I was shattered and just couldn't be bothered to even think!!

Am  not much better today, had a double session today, an hour in the gym followed by an hours swimming, followed by half hour in the steam room and jacuzzi.  The jacuzzi seems to have relaxed my body so much I have gone a bit rag doll like for the evening and a bit more gaa-gaa than usual!!

At least I now have two rest days coming up...although plenty of walking will hopefully be taken!! 

I did actually miss doing my blog though, because the main reason for me doing it is to keep myself focused, to read back over and see how far I have come, how much my life has changed.  The fact others from far and wide seem to share and enjoy it and get inspiration from it is a great added incentive to carry it on, so I thank you all sincerely for continuing to read it and for your support, it means an awful lot.

I am learning so much about health and nutrition and it really really interests me, I am no expert, I am not trained, I can only report on what I have found and what works for me, but I am seriously considering studying it in some way or another and will be looking into that in the near future.  Even if it is just to benefit myself, I think it would be great.

 
~BREAKFAST~
 
Fancied another sundae today, made a slightly different variation to the one I had on Sunday.

Once again I 'roasted' some fresh figs and nectarines this time in a hot pan, letting them release their natural juices.

I then made a cold porridge mixing oats, chia seeds, cinnamon and chopped stem ginger with 0% yogurt and layered it up with the roasted fruits.  Topped with some dried banana flakes and roasted coconut chips and some more cinnamon, with a drizzle of agave nectar.

Absolutely delicious, cannot recommend this enough.


~MID-MORNING SNACK~
 
Just one of my Magical Energy Bars this morning, plus a banana ... knew I needed all the fuel I could get today!!
 
~LUNCH~
 
Definitely getting cooler lately and straight away I want warming foods to take to work for lunch, not salads!

I knocked this one up last night for today's lunch, very quick and easy and one of my most favourite soups.  Mushroom and Chestnut soup, taken from the CYT first cookbook.

In a large pan add a teaspoon of rapeseed oil and cook a chopped onion until softened.  Add chopped mushrooms, I use closed cap, chestnut and oyster mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until they start to release their water and cook down.  Add a pack of chestnuts, chopped and stir through.  Add some made-up chicken stock (I use Kallo organic chicken stock cubes), plenty of white pepper and a twist of salt and a teaspoon of fresh or dried thyme and let it all simmer for about 10 minutes.  Then just blitz, keeping a few mushrooms and chestnuts whole if you like for some added texture.

Unlike other nuts and seeds, chestnuts are relatively low in calories, contain less fat but are high in minerals, vitamins and nutrients.  They are high in starch, making them a good bulking agent for this soup, and their nutritional composition is similar to other staple starch foods such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn etc.  They are rich in vitamin C, folates and a good source of dietary fibre.  So you definitely want to carry on the tradition of adding them to your childrens stockings at Christmas!!

Top the soup with some fat free fromage frais or 0% yogurt, is also good with some crisped up parma ham on top!

 
So so so so tasty, if you love mushrooms, which I do, you will love this!!
 
~AFTERNOON SNACK~
 
I could have eaten my way through my entire fridge contents when I got home after the gym today, but I refrained!!

Instead, I had some oatcakes, fat free cottage cheese, sun blushed tomatoes and a couple of gherkin spears.

Gorgeous.

I talked about Cottage Cheese the other day and how it is a strength trainer's and weight watcher's dream food, read the blog again here:-secret eater blog.


~DINNER~
 
Not so long ago, on an evening like today's, end of the working week and when I am tired an lacking in enthusiasm, dinner tonight would have been ordered by telephone, or maybe entailed just a teeny bit of exercise by walking down to the fish and chip shop just down the road (they do do amazing fish and chips!!). 
 
And I very very nearly did the same tonight.  But luckily I poked my head in the fridge to see if there was anything I could rustle up which would remain healthy without much effort, and came up with this:-
 
 
 
How beautiful does that look?  It made me smile just throwing it together, and that is literally what I did.  Peeled and chopped up some sweet potatoes, a red onion, a red and yellow pepper, a courgette, a leek, some mushrooms, asparagus and threw in some tomatoes, quartered up a lemon and then put two chicken legs on top.  Scattered over some fresh rosemary and drizzled with some rapeseed oil and just bunged in the oven.  And it is cooking away and smelling delicious whilst I type this.  One pan, big flavour!
 
 
~EXERCISE~
 
As I have already said, was a double whammy day today, hours strength training followed by hours gym.  I concentrated more on my legs in the resistance today as swimming takes care of the arms.  Oh. and getting on really well with my swimming with head under water, its all in the breathing and not to panic, am getting there!!
 
Nothing more to say about it really, except as usual, I loved it!  And I am actually starting to see shape happening on my legs, and loving it!
 
My dinner is smelling ready now so off to eat that.
 
Thanks again for reading
Jo
xx

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about missing blogging. By posting a blog post, it really keeps me on track. Now HHH is taking off, I am aiming for 3 posts a day. It does take time, but it keeps me focused.

    Your dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was! So much better than a greasy take-out!!

    I couldn't manage 3 blogs a day, but the hour I take in the evening to sit and write mine up is my 'me' time, and I love planning for it over the day, taking the pics of everything I eat makes me put even more consideration into them. Everytime I call Matt to come and get his dinner it is followed by 'bring the Ipad', haha.

    ReplyDelete