Sunday 9 September 2012

Chill out and bake!!

So today is Sunday, thought of as the day of rest, so I decided for once to take it at its word.

We had planned to go out for a long walk, but it was a beautiful hot day, too hot to be walking in, so we decided to chill and enjoy our garden whilst we still had the chance.

Sometimes it is good to just have a day of complete relaxation, time to chill, rest your mind as well as your body.

So I sat in the garden for a good few hours, reading a book, haven't done that in a long time.  I tried to avoid getting into a book unless I know I have loads of spare time, as I once I start I have to read the whole book.  But today I limited myself and only read a part, but it was relaxing all the same.

It certainly was a complete day of rest though, there were numerous loads of washing to get done and hung out, ironing to follow and then some baking to be done, but a lovely day all the same.

~BREAKFAST~
 
A couple of years back I followed the diet plan from the tv programme Cook Yourself Thin on Channel 4.  4 Beautiful ladies showing you how to basically cook healthier versions of food you love.  Two books came out of this programme, well, the first one did, the second was full of recipes from various members of the forum site, a lot of them my friends.


This is based on a recipe by Gizzi Erskine in the first book.  Sweetcorn pancakes with bacon and avocado.  It has become a favourite of mine and my husbands!

Recipe

1 large egg, 150g 0% Greek yoghurt, 1 tablespoon cornflour, 60g polenta flour, 200g tin sweetcorn (drained), 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)

In a bowl mix together the egg, yoghurt, cornflower, polenta flour and a pinch of salt and pepper until it becomes a smooth batter.  Add the corn and spring onion and mix thoroughly

Heat a non stick frying pan and spritz with some olive oil spray.  Spoon in the mixture into four dollops, flatten each one a little and cook for 2-3 mins until bottom has turned crisp and golden.  Using a fish slice, flip over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.

Top with grilled lean bacon, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, two dry fried eggs and half a sliced avocado.

This was eaten late morning so no need for a snack, or indeed lunch, so I guess it was a brunch!!


~SEEDED CRACKERS AND HUMMUS~
 
I was going to knock up some more of my Magical Energy Bars today for the week ahead, but decided instead I wanted to try my hand at some seeded crackers.  Every recipe I looked at was using flaxseed and various fancy flours which I didn't have, so decided to knock something up from what I did have, and flavours I like ... and was really impressed by the result!

Seeded Chickpea Crackers

3 tablespoons of gram (chickpea) flour, 50g chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of mixed seeds, 2 tsps fennel seeds, 3 tsps chia seeds, 1tsp chopped fresh rosemary, pinch of rock salt, 1tsp coconut oil (melted), water.

I blitzed the chickpeas in the hand mixer to a rough consistency, then added these to a bowl along with the gram flour, all the seeds and the chopped rosemary.  I then added the coconut oil and a little water, drop by drop, enough to bind it together to a firm dough without making it too wet and sticky.

I then placed the dough between two sheets of baking parchment and rolled it out to as thin as I could get it.  Cut the rolled out dough into small rectangles, I managed to get 12 out of mine.  Using a spatula carefully remove each slice from the paper (quite tricky but if it tears will squidge back together) and place on a baking tray, lined with more baking paper and sprayed with oil.  Press some more seeds onto the top of each slice and then place in the oven, about 160oc for about 25 minutes.  Keep an eye on the so that they do not burn, just turning brown.  Once you remove from the oven, leave to cool and crisp up, then keep in an airtight container.

Lemon Hummus

1 420g tin of chickpeas (drained), 2 tsps tahini paste, zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil, pinch of salt

In the hand mixer, place all the ingredients and literally blitz until a smooth paste, season to taste.

Spoon into an airtight jar and store in the fridge.

 
I am so impressed by these, the crackers are delicious, so full of flavour and light, and hummus is always a hit with me!  These should last me for a good few days as my afternoon snack this week after my gym sessions. 

 
~DINNER~
 
The other day a group of my friends were having a discussion about what to make with turkey mince, as it is quite a bland meat.  I usually do a spicy burger myself, but I came up with the idea of a Christmas burger, seeing as it was turkey, and decided today to give it a go!

I literally placed the mince in a large bowl.  Chopped up some vac-packed chestnuts, just a handful, (you can freeze the rest) and some fresh sage from my garden, just a few leaves, and mixed them into the mince, along with 2 tsps redcurrant jelly, (you could use cranberry but I didn't have any!).  Mixed it all together, formed into 4 patties and placed on a plate to chill and firm up for a few hours till ready to be cooked.  I simply cook them on a dry hot griddle pan, turning regularly to ensure they are cooked through.

Served in a seeded wholemeal bun spread with a bit more redcurrant and topped with some sliced avocado, with some sweet potato chips done in the actifry and a lovely big salad with my regular honey, dijon and wholegrain mustard, cider vinegar and rapeseed oil dressing.

Christmas in a bun .... totally, totally delicious!



(There are two left over which I will be chopping up into my salad for tomorrow's lunch, yum!)
 
Of to celebrate the closing of the Paralympics now, true heroes and totally inspiring,  with the fabulous Coldplay, saving the best till last!
 
Thanks again for reading
Jo
xx







No comments:

Post a Comment