Wednesday 5 September 2012

Love your curves!

I received a lovely compliment today, I was told I was beautiful by somebody I don't really know.  Granted it was by a much older gentleman in his 70's, but hey, I'll take it where I can get it!!

Even better, I was in my swimming costume, never the best look!

But this chap, who actually reminds me so much of my Dad, told me I was beautiful, he said my smile lit up the swimming pool and I 'had the curves of a real woman, not like all these stick insects you see these days'!!!!!!!!!

Slightly uncomfortable, don't really like the thought of being ogled by an old man, but it was lovely all the same, and it truly came from his heart, bless him.  He told me if he was 40 years younger my husband would have competition on his hands (flattery, cos that would then have actually made him younger than me!!!). Ha ha :)

But it made me think, when he was younger, his youth would have been around the 50's / 60's, and it was real women then.  There was no plastic enhancements, no nip and tucks, just women, in all their glamorous glory.  They weren't fat, but they had the curves in all the right places, they were voluptuous, and sexy as hell.

My Mum was one of them!  She was, (and still is in my opinion), a great beauty.  My Dad was smitten with her from the moment he saw her, and he still is.  I am told I look just like her, I take that as a huge compliment!


I want to be strong, I want to be lean, but I want to retain curves, you get that from eating healthy, like they did back in those days, no fad diets, just good healthy food and everything in moderation, and from keeping fit ... they walked practically everywhere!!!

 
 
~BREAKFAST~
 
A nice change today, a 2 egg omelet with mushrooms and asparagus, topped with a little reduced fat grated cheese and finished with a good old splodge of ketchup!

I dry fried the asparagus and mushrooms, then added the beaten egg and let it cook.  I then topped with the cheese and placed under a hot grill to souffle up.

Asparagus is a wonder veg with so many great benefits.  They are rich with potassium, a great source for reducing belly fat, also rich in fibre, vitamin A and folate.  It is also very high in glutathione - an amino acid compound with potent antioxidant properties; a must as an anti-ageing deterrent, and folate which is great for reducing inflammation and also meant to be help protect against cancer, and reduce the risk of heart disease.  Plus Vitamin K, which can help prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Vitamin K aids in bone formation and repair. It is also necessary for the synthesis of osteocalcin. Osteocalcin is the protein in bone tissue on which calcium crystallises. Asparagus has been listed as the number one source of vitamin K! It is also great for pregnancy, owing to the folate which can help reduce birth defects.  The nutritional benefits can help prevent and treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones.  They have diuretic effects, helping you to get rid of excess water ..... (although they do make your wee smell!!!!!)..... so you see, they are fab, and one of my favourite veg!  Did you also know they are a member of the lily family!!!!

~MID-MORNING SNACK~
  
Today I enjoyed one of my Magical Energy Bars, which had added stem ginger and coconut oil. Yummmmmmmmm!!!!
 
~LUNCH~
 
Today was basically a repeat of last nights dinner, pork milanese salad, I had cooked an extra pork fillet last night so had that cold today chopped up, with basically the same salad of feta, pear, beetroot, mixed leaves, spinach and added avocado, and a dressing of rapeseed oil, dijon and wholegrain mustard, honey and cider vinegar!

A complete taste sensation!


~AFTERNOON SNACK~
 
Some Nairns Oatcakes with some reduced fat humous and gherkin spears ...... followed by a small bag of peanut M&M's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
 
~DINNER~
 
Not really stew weather at the moment, but I had been really fancying this lately.  My oriental spicey beef and orange stew.  I literally just throw the lean stewing steak, sliced carrots, sliced onions, zest of an orange followed by the rest of it quartered, Chinese five spice powder and about 4 star anise into the slow cooker, set it on low and let it cook all day.  About 1/2 hours before serving I add some soy sauce, more chinese five spice and sliced chilli leave again to cook away on warm. Remove the orange skins(flesh will have cooked down into stew) and star anise before serving,
 

I served it today with mashed sweet potato (baked in the oven then just literally mashed up) and some steamed broccoli.  It was lovely, but I couldn't eat it all, and as much as I had been fancying it, by the time it came to eating it I didn't really fancy it anymore!!!  Typical. 
 
But can assure you, on a cold winters day it is definitely a winner.

 
~EXERCISE~
 
Swimming today, swam for about 1.5 hours, pool was literally empty again, love it like that, I even practised swimming with my head under the water ... getting better, just got to master that breathing!!  Mostly breast stroke, some front crawl and some back crawl.
 
  Followed this by a 10 minute session in the steam room ... heaven!!



Thanks again for reading
Jo
xx





No comments:

Post a Comment