Wednesday 31 October 2012

Listen to your body.....



Some of you may have seen today on Facebook that I have been overdoing it slightly with my exercise.  This has resulted in my body starting to become exhausted and showing me signs that unless I ease up, it doesn't want to play ball no more.

My problem is that I am far too keen, which is a good thing, but you really do have to be sensible with it.

I keep pushing and pushing myself thinking I can do better, do more, get better results, but this is not always the case.

Last night, after an afternoon at the gym where I spent 20 minutes running, followed by an hours intense weights workout, followed by 1/2 hr swim, my body refused to budge an inch further and I completely zonked out on the sofa, at 8pm, unheard of for me.

Furthermore, after a good nights sleep, I am still feeling pretty drained today.

It's time to start listening.

After speaking to my good friends Jen Mayes who is a PT with her own company, Amazing Fitness, and Natalie Guyan who runs the fabulous fitness/healthy eating for pregnant women site, Eating-4-2, who gently but rightly so gave me a bit of a talking to, I realised how crazy I was being.

If I carry on doing what I have been doing the past week, I am going to burn myself out and end up doing myself more harm than good.  I am loving it, I am very eager and excited and showing no signs of waning and losing interest, but overdoing it and constantly pushing my body to excess is not going to give me the results I want any faster, it is infact going to shut my body down and I will probably end up causing myself an injury as much as anything.

So today I listened.  Today was meant to be a swimming day, but I decided instead to take the day off.  Go straight home after work and get lots of things done around the house that never get done because I am always at the gym!!

So that is what I did.  I have drummed into myself that I HAVE to go to the gym every day, I pay the membership, I HAVE to make the most of it and I have to give it 150%.  Ofcourse I don't, I know that is rubbish.  Missing the odd day does not mean I am not getting my monies worth, I more than do that, it also does not mean I am letting myself and my body down.  It is my choice to go, it is not a duty, I do not have to report to anybody.  Today I chose not to go ..... and nothing bad happened!!!!  Tomorrow I will be back on it and refreshed, ready for a much better performance from my body.



Today I got home and used the time to do what I have been meaning or needing to do for months now, sorting out all my clothes.  I am a complete clothaholic!!!  I have so many, and they were everywhere.  Today, I took bin bags with me and took the decision that anything that has not been worn in the past 6 months is not ever going to be worn by me again, and bagged it all up for the charity shops.  This resulted in 4 huge bin bags full to bursting!!!  I would say it freed up so much wardrobe space, it didn't, it just meant all the other clothes that were laying here there and everywhere are now all hanging up where they should be .... may need to buy a new wardrobe! ;)

Haven't got much time to blog much more tonight but really do have to share my recipe for my fabulous homemade wholemeal pizza and homemade coleslaw we had for dinner tonight, it was AMAZING!!

WHOLEMEAL PIZZA AND FRUITY NUTTY COLESLAW
 

Add 500g of wholemeal flour to a large bowl with 1 tsp of salt. Next add 2 tsps of easy bake yeast and 1 tsp of sugar and stir in. I also added a handful of chopped fresh rosemary.  Next add 15ml rapeseed oil (you can use soft butter or vegetable oil) and rub into the flour mix.

Make up about 300ml warm water (1 part boiling, 2 parts cold) and add enough to the mix to form a soft dough, using your fingers to 'stir' it in until all combined.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surfaced and knead for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.

Shape the dough into a ball and place back in the bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size for about 50 minutes. 

Pre-heat the oven to about 180oc.

Split the dough into two and on a lightly floured surface roll each ball into large flat circles. (This is for thin crispy crust pizzas, if you like deep pan then just use all the dough, don't split it).

Oil a pizza pan or a large flat baking sheet and place the base on it.  Place it in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes just to start off the baking of the dough before any topping goes on.

For mine, I spread it with some sundried tomato paste then topped with some chopped peppers, sunblushed tomatoes, asparagus spears, fresh spinach leaves, serrano ham, fresh buffalo mozarella and some freshly grated parmesan, finished with a further little sprinkling of fresh rosemary.

Pop in the oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until the crust starts to crisp and the topping is bubbling.

I also made a delicious nutty and fruity coleslaw to go with the pizza.

I finely shredded some fennel, carrots, red cabbage and pear and placed in a large bowl.  I roasted off some walnuts and pumpkin seeds and added them to the bowl, along with about 5 chopped up dried apricots.  I drizzled some walnut oil over and some sherry vinegar and gave it all a good stir.  I then added a couple of tablespoons of fat free greek yogurt and combined it all again.  Beautiful.


Give it a go, why would you want a stodgy greasy take-out when you can make something so fresh and delicious yourself!

I had made two, the second one will be tomorrow nights dinner.  There once was a time we would have eaten one whole one each, now we only just managed two slices each!! :)

I won't be blogging every day now, we will be playing squash or running some evenings and I simply won't have time, but I will do as often as I can.

Thanks again for reading
Jo
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment